6 minute read ~
Paint does more than coat the walls of a room.
The color you choose can showcase personality, evoke emotion, and even make a space look bigger!
That is why once yearly, all the big paint and color companies come out with their colors of the year.
Whether you’re renovating to sell or want to jazz up your favorite rooms, here are the latest paint trends to consider and how to use them during your next home improvement project.
How Color Influences a Room
Believe it or not, there’s such thing as the psychology of paint.
Being a simple yet highly effective design tool, paint can evoke mood changes, create a sense of comfort, or trick the eye into thinking the space is larger than it is.
It’s all about finding colors that make a room as cozy or spacious as possible and selecting colors that make you feel good. When done right, color can create a remarkable experience, transforming your home into an expression of your style.
Top Paint Trends for 2022
Each year, the top color experts and paint companies choose their “colors of the year” — often drawing on trends in fashion, pop culture, design, and technology from around the globe.
Whether your go-to brand is Behr or Valspar, learning what’s trending across the industry can help you make the perfect selection of paints for your upcoming reno or home makeover. Here is what some of the top brands are recommending, plus how you can use these suggestions to enhance the rooms in your house.
1. Benjamin Moore
Benjamin Moore’s Color Trends 2022 Palette includes 14 hues, offering endless combinations that ensure effortless harmony. These colors were chosen based on their “modern-day relevance and long-lasting appeal.”
The company’s top pick is October Mist, which evokes the silver-green stem of a flower. Acting as a canvas for other colors, this hue allows for plenty of creativity.
Other recommendations include:
Tips from Benjamin Moore:
- Choose luminous pales to invigorate your senses
- Opt for botanical hues when seeking a sense of warmth
- Paint with refreshed primaries to let your personal style shine
The BEHR® Colour Trends 2022 Palette offers 20 hues that will “ignite newfound passions and enhance every corner of your home.”
Breezeway was the top pick, inspired by the hue “where the sea meets the sky.” The idea of this color is to bring a breath of fresh air into any space. It is being used on everything from kitchen cabinetry to front doors, bedroom walls, to office walls. For effortless styling, harmonize with shades of white, grey, and natural wood tones.
Utilize BEHR’s paint trends for 2022 by decorating:
- Flexible spaces (suggested colors include Laural Tree, Perfect Penny, Cracked Pepper, and Lunar Surface)
- Serene Sanctuaries (suggested colors include Ocean Abyss, Etched Glass, Dark Cobalt Blue, and Nightingale Gray)
- Natural influences (suggested colors include Basswood, Wild Mustang, Corn Stalk, and Studio Clay)
For 2022, Valspar chose colors that come from nature, intending to bring a calming, comfortable presence into any home. The Valspar Colors of the Year are 12 hues that are both trendy and timeless.
Let’s take a closer look at some of these colors.
- Blanched Thyme — This shade of green pairs perfectly with warmer wood tones to create a balanced, natural look. Trending because of its ability to help you refocus, this color promotes a space that is calming and grounding. In an office, style with a wood desk and other natural elements. In a bedroom or living room, pair with warm tones.
- Lilac Lane — This shade of pink is all about uplifting and restoring a space, bringing optimism into any room. Often used as a colorful backdrop, this color is great to feature as an accent wall, livening up your home, but also ideal for an entire room. To style, complement with textured accessories and pops of accent colors.
- Rustic Oak — This warm, rich color will bring in a level of sophistication. Reminiscent of shades from the 70s and 90s, warm tones are making a strong comeback. It’s stunning when paired with dark wood floors, as this will help ground the shape and add interest.
Other trending colors include:
- Gilded Linen
- Delightful Moon
- Mountain River
- Orchid Ash
- Grey Suit
- Subtle Peach
- Sunset Curtains
- Country Charm
- Fired Earth
Dive deeper in paint trends for 2022 with these guides:
- Dulux – 2022 Paint Colour & Design Trends
- Sherwin Williams – Color of the Year 2022
- Graham & Brown – Wallpaper & Color of the Year
- PPG Paints – 2022 Color Trends